These thick pieces of Mahi-Mahi are coated in a Cajun rub then pan-seared until golden brown and topped with a juicy tropical jalapeno salsa. It looks and tastes fancy but is so quick and easy to make!
Mahi-Mahi is a sweet and mild fish that flakes to perfection when cooked properly. It cooks up extremely quickly so make sure to watch it closely to prevent over-cooking. You should get either super fresh or quick-frozen high-quality Mahi-Mahi to provide the best flavor. We recommend ordering online from Fulton Fish Market. Make sure that your mahi mahi portions are about 6-7oz each with at least a 1-inch thickness. If the portions are too thin or small they’ll tend to overcook and the seasoning proportions may be off.
Always pat away excess moisture from the fish – this step is super important as it will allow the seasoning to stick better to help create a nice crispy coating. Using a dry rub instead of a wet marinade for fish also helps to add another dimension of texture and crispness to the fish. In just under 8 minutes the fish will be fully cooked and ready for serving!
Cajun Mahi Mahi with Mango Jalapeno Salsa
Mahi Mahi Ingredients
- 4 Mahi-Mahi Filets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon
Cajun Seasoning Ingredients
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
Mango Jalapeno Salsa Ingredients
- ½ cup mango, diced
- ⅓ cup Roma tomato, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Combine Cajun Seasoning Mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pat fillets dry with paper towels. Season the fillets liberally with the Cajun spice mix on both sides.
- Combine ingredients for salsa and refrigerate until serving.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the extra virgin olive oil. Then add in the mahi-mahi until golden brown on one side- about 3 minutes undisturbed (do not move fish around). Flip fish over and continue to cook until opaque and cooked through.
- Serve Cajun Mahi-Mahi with a squeeze of fresh lemon, and then top with your mango jalapeno salsa!