You don’t have to stick to grabbing a slice just for dinner. Meet the breakfast pizza recipe!
We’ve seen every kind of pizza imaginable. Mexican pizza, Thai chicken pizza, dessert pizza. But, shockingly enough, no breakfast pizza. Befuddling, given just how easy and tasty it can be. Start with the ultimate breakfast bread, the fiber-dense whole-wheat English muffin as your base and salsa as your sauce, then add eggs, ham, and cheese for flavor, substance, and plenty of protein. It beats an 800-calorie breakfast sandwich any day, and you get to tell everyone you know that you had pizza for breakfast.
1 Pizza Crust
1/2 Tbsp butter
6 eggs, beaten
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 oz bacon, cut into thin strips
1 cup prepared salsa
1 cup shredded low-fat Jack or Cheddar cheese
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat the butter in a large nonstick pan.
- When the butter is fully melted, season the eggs with salt and pepper, then add to the pan, along with the bacon strips.
- Cook, using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to keep stirring the eggs as they set.
- Remove the pan from the heat about 30 seconds before the eggs are fully done (they’ll continue to cook in the pan and in the oven).
- Slather each English muffin half with a good spoonful of salsa.
- Divide the eggs among the English muffins, then top with the cheese.
- Place all the English muffins on a baking sheet and broil (6″ from the heat is ideal) until the cheese is fully melted and browned around the edges.